Excerpted from a PGC/Glazier Coaching Clinic session in Los Angeles, CA. Tyler Coston spoke on How to Develop Leaders in Your Sports Program.
Leadership is more than just doing the right thing. Leadership is influence. Leadership is relationships.
Do you have a clear and written out plan of what a leadership plan?
- What is your definition of a leader?
- What are the steps you will take to grow your leaders?
- How will you communicate this plan to your players and teach them?
10 – 80 – 10 Breakdown
- Top 10% that are always doing and saying the right thing.
- Leadership for the Top 10% is taking the middle 80% and bringing them up
- Middle 80% that will either be uplifted by the top 10% or contaminated and brought down by the bottom 10%
- Leadership for the middle is either becoming a part of the top 10% OR choosing the right group to follow
- Bottom 10% are always contaminating the environment
- Leadership for the bottom 10% is to stop contaminating which is leading themselves.
As coaches, we must have a plan for leading each group throughout the season.
Leadership is about doing extra
Leadership is about energy
Leadership is about influence
The best way to craft an effective offense is to get your best shooters launching from where they’re most efficient. Chasing that data led to the creation of the shot chart, as coaches often had assistants charting makes and misses from the bench or while watching the video afterward.
These resolutions, if made into daily habits, can transform your relationships, your outlook and your life.
We put together a list of our favorite books that will resonate with any good coach.
PGC Basketball provides intense, no-nonsense basketball training for players and coaches. Our basketball camps are designed to teach players of all positions to play smart basketball, be coaches on the court, and be leaders in practices, games and in everyday life.
We combine our unique PGC culture with a variety of teaching methods and learning environments to maximize the learning potential of those that attend our sessions. In addition to spending 6-7 hours on the court each day, lessons will be reinforced through classroom sessions and video analysis.
Our goal at PGC is to empower you with the tools to fulfill your basketball dreams, while also assisting you in experiencing the joy of the journey.